The Museum of the American Revolution opened to the public on April 19, 2017 and has quickly become one of the leading cultural destinations in Philadelphia. It continues to garner national attention for its inclusive, innovative and engaging approach to storytelling, (a recent example, CBS This Morning piece that ran in July). Having opened on time, under budget, with no debt and a generous endowment, the Museum is poised to play a leadership role in the upcoming 250th anniversary of the nation’s birth in 2026. The Museum is seeking a creative and accomplished Director of Marketing to continue to build the institution’s brand, expand its reach both onsite and online, and help us to achieve our mission: to uncover and share compelling stories about the diverse people and complex events that sparked America’s ongoing experiment in liberty, equality, and self-government.
The Director of Marketing will have the primary responsibility for achieving the requisite visibility and brand identity to achieve the Museum’s annual attendance goal of 300,000+ visitors. The Director will have responsibility for planning, developing and implementing marketing strategies, establishing and maintaining the Museum’s brand identity, in order to establish the Museum as a premier, nationally significant cultural institution and attract attendance to the Museum and its related programs. The Director must work effectively with senior executives, Board members, and staff at all levels. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
The position oversees a staff of seven: The Travel Trade and Group Sales Manager, three group sales associates, a Marketing Manager, Graphic Designer and an Email Marketing Coordinator.
Create, implement and measure the success of a strategic marketing, program that will enhance the Museum’s image and position within the marketplace and achieve institutional objectives that include:
- targeted marketing communications and sales materials
- media and advertising programs and marketing partnerships
- website and other digital marketing efforts
- Oversee and align all Museum research efforts, including market and audience research
- Identify annual audience segmentation and visitation trends.
- Determine competitive pricing structures for future exhibitions and programs
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships with key contacts in print, radio, and television
- Oversee creative and media buying agencies to drive visitation and enhance awareness
- Work closely with the Director of Communications to ensure that communications and marketing efforts align.
- Cultivate and implement useful and effective marketing relationships between the Museum and the community to maximize marketing reach and increase awareness
- Oversee the group sales program to ensure revenue goals are met
- Work with senior staff and other staff to develop and maintain a strategic perspective—based on marketplace and constituent needs and satisfaction—in organizational direction, program services and decision-making
- Act as an internal consultant to bring attention and solutions to institutional priorities
- Recruit, train, appraise, supervise, support, develop, promote and guide qualified personnel both paid and volunteer
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum ten years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications and public relations activities
- Experience overseeing design and production of print materials, publications
- Experience overseeing creative and media buying agencies
- Experience developing and managing budgets, and hiring, training, and supervising personnel
- Demonstrated initiative, creativity, flexibility, resourcefulness and calculated risk taking
- High energy, intelligent, direct, loyal, diplomatic, and results-oriented
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, achievement driven rather than ego driven
- High integrity
- Takes initiative and possesses anticipatory thinking
- Confidence inspiring attitude, interacts with tact, diplomacy and poise
- Professional and resourceful style; works independently and as a team player
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical activities
- Thrives on a broad role, which includes comfort with ambiguity and providing structure when it does not exist
- Manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Well organized and thorough with close attention to detail and follow-through
- Attracted to and committed to the mission of the Museum
Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
Applying for this position:
The Museum of the American Revolution (www.AmRevMuseum.org) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To apply, please send a cover letter including, resume and three professional references to email@example.com.